A year ago a mama suggested I make a list of my top picks from the latest Ikea catalogue. Products that would be perfect for setting up your spaces with young children. Well I just received the 2013 catalogue and inspired by the Designing Spaces workshops, I think it is time to make that list! Hope you find it useful.
I know that every time we head to Ikea we vow never to return. But Ikea do have some super practical and affordable items that can help you set out your children’s spaces at home.
1. Trofast basis element €29,95 – turned on its side without any of the shelf fittings, it makes a perfect low shelf. If you are handy you can fix one on top of another to add an extra shelf. Secure well.
2. Norden bank €49,95 – this low bench could also be used as a low shelf
3. Expedit open kast (various sizes) – even the biggest Expedit shelf can be used by the whole family: use the top two shelves to store your books, and the lower shelves for the younger children.
Low table and chairs
1. Kritter table €19,95 and chair €12,95 – cut 10cm off the legs of both the table and chair and you have a great set for children under 3 years.
1. Bekvam kruidenrekje €2,99 – this spice rack can be mounted on the wall at your child’s height to hold books
1. Kritter bedframe €59.95 – a junior bed with side rail that a child can climb in and out of independently from around 15 months
2. Sniglar bedframe €49,95 – another junior bed with side rail
3. Besta – get creative and put together 4 square cupboards, add some hanging elements and drawers and you have a customised wardrobe that the children can access themselves
1. Raskog roltafel €59,95 – this is a rollable trolley perfect for children to pack away their dirty dishes, or to store children’s plates and glasses
1. Tjusig rekje €6,99 – hooks placed at a low height can allow the child to hang their jacket, bag and rain clothes by themselves
2. Various full length mirrors
1. Bolmen kruk €5,99 – high stool to allow children to reach the sink
Art & Craft
1. Moppe miniladekast (2 sizes) – wooden storage with little drawers, perfect for storing art and craft supplies
2. Kupol opberger (various sizes) – plastic storage containers with little drawers for storing art and craft supplies
3. Mala tekenbord €14,95 – this easel is great value. Again cut 10 cm off the legs so your child can reach easily
4. Duktig bakset €9,99 – great baking set for use with playdough
5. Deka staalkabel €3,99 – a curtain wire complete with clips to hang up paintings
6. Grundtal stang €4,99 – meant to be used in the kitchen, combine this wall rail with little BYGEL storage containers €0.49 and you have a space to hold pencils, marker pens etc
1. Ekkore loopwagen €19,95 – an affordable push wagon for children learning to walk
2. Dragan badkamerset €9,99 – a 2 piece set that is meant for the bathroom but is great to store small parts, beads, lego, or a sewing activity
3. Bladis doos met dekse, set van 4 €12,95 – also good for storage
4. Ikea PS 2012 lade set van 4 €34,95 – colourful boxes for storage
5. Various trays, baskets and bowls for arranging activities – too many to name!
6. Various storage containers and built in wardrobes – so you can store most of your toys and rotate them when necessary
We would love to hear your favourites too. Please share them on the Facebook group.
And if you have found this article useful, you might also be interested in my other most popular articles:
And be the first to receive new blog posts by subscribing to my newsletter here.
If you have any specific questions about Montessori, please feel free to email me: firstname.lastname@example.org